Hi everyone! My name is Amy, and I am ArtSpark’s intern. I am pursuing my MBA in strategic planning. Also, like you all, I am passionate about the arts, including having a degree in interior design and a background in the visual arts.
I have researched a lot about social media, and with all the current and upcoming platforms and tools out there, it is easy to get a bit overwhelmed! So, over the coming weeks, I will be posting fun infographics and other media along with some tips about how as an artist you can use social media effectively and efficiently.
For this first post, I wanted to provide an overview of current social media platforms and some interesting statistics. This is a colorful analysis from the iSTRATEGYLABS and the Huffington Post. It evaluates 2012 platforms and hints at future social media trends. Here are some takeaways:
1. Almost a quarter of users check their Facebook pages more than 5x a day.
2. Consumers are marketing on behalf of businesses by suggesting to friends who to follow on Twitter, by “liking” a brand on Facebook, and by using the “+1” button a lot on Google+ (5 million times per day!).
3. Facebook and Twitter are still the two leaders of social media, but perhaps, not for much longer.
4. In fact, Google+ is continuing to rise in popularity among both consumers and businesses.
5. Another growing platform is Instagram – actually, on average, users spend more time on this platform versus Twitter.
6. Providing a price with your pin on Pinterest is appreciated as it will likely result in more re-pins.
So, as an artist, how can you best utilize social media based on this latest data? Come back next Thursday for tips regarding our first platform to be discussed (which will not be Twitter or Facebook – yet….). In the meantime, feel free to leave a comment and/or answer the following question: which social media platform do you currently use the most and why?